Hardware & Software

IT Services recommends that students connect to the Oglethorpe network with a computer running Microsoft Windows OS or Mac OS. While Unix/Linux-based, or older, unsupported versions of Windows computers can also be used on our network, IT Services is unable to provide support or assistance for these systems.

Hardware & Software Discounts

Dell and Oglethorpe University has negotiated special pricing for our students, faculty and staff from DELL. IT Services recommends a DELL desktop or laptop computer.

Each student’s computing needs are different, so Oglethorpe has negotiated special pricing on various software packages from Adobe, Macromedia, Microsoft, and others. See special pricing with On The Hub.

On-campus students will be required to install our antivirus program before connecting to the campus network. This software, called OVAX, is available for free from IT Services.

Faculty, Staff & Students get FREE access to Office through Office 365

Get a complete version of the latest Microsoft Office from Oglethorpe University, to use for as long as you’re a student here. You can even install it on up to five PCs or Macs and on other mobile devices. Document roaming allows you to start a document on your computer, edit on your tablet, and finish it on your phone.

Download Office 365 on your devices:


Equipment Requirements

Wi-Fi –
Campus-Wide Wireless Connection

Our wireless network is very extensive and provides a connection in all our academic buildings and dormitory areas. For best results, IT Services recommends that your computer is up-to-date with all the latest service patches, and is using a wireless adapter that supports the 802.11g standard and is using the latest drivers.

Traditional Wired – Ethernet Port Connection

Any computer connecting to our wired network will need a Network Interface Card (NIC). This card must be a 10 Base-T or 10/100 Base-T Ethernet card with an RJ-45 connection. These are now commonly built into the computer itself, but if not, some brands to look for are 3Com, Linksys, and SMC.

You will need a Category 5 Ethernet network cord to connect from the NIC to the port on the wall, and the length will depend on where you put your computer in your dorm room. Also, some classrooms on campus have network connections available for students at their desks.